Monday, September 14, 2009

Cast Away - DIY



Jane got her cast about a month ago, so it was time for it to come off. The pediatrician in Utah said it could come off after 3 weeks and that we wouldn't need another set of x-rays down here, so I thought I'd do it myself.

[maybe later, problems with video]

Above is video of Jane pouting and walking around like a peg-leg pirate.
Here's Jane in her last days with her cast.

Close up.
Over the course of 3 days I used my multi-function tool to get it off. Here is Jane on the operating table.
First, I used the mini-saw. I could get off the part by her foot alright, but struggle down the length of her leg.

Next, I used the knife to score a line down the leg. Then I cut that line at an angle to get a little chunk of cast off. With a little more help from the can opener attachment and the needle nose pliers, we made it all the way.

Here's the final product. A lot of old, scaly skin and some worn off skin from the cast.
It's now been about 3 days since removal and she's still walking a bit as though she still had it on. A few more days and she'll be back to 100%.

5 comments:

Queen Elizabeth said...

MAN you guys make cute kids. Nice operation - will you be switching careers soon?

kel said...

Stace! i didn't know about you blog! i am so glad you have one and i can read about your lives in Peru and everything! great photos, stories, etc. it looks like you are doing well there. and way to take off Eva's cast. love you!

Josette said...

hey stace! i am so glad you have a blog now...especially since you are in peru having awesome experiences. i can't believe little jane broke her leg. she is too cute! i love the curls. hope all is well with the you and the fam!

Leigh said...

I'm excited to follow your adventures in Peru. What a fun time for you family.

Quixote & Dulcinea said...

What are your malpractice limits?